Staffing of an NGO and employment of non citizens in Uganda
The law requires every organization to;
- Submit to the Bureau a chart showing its organizational structure at the time of applying for registration.
- Indicating its foreign staff requirements
- The period for replacement of foreign staff with qualified Ugandans.
- Comply with Ugandan employment and labour laws.
- Not employ a non citizen unless that person has been cleared by the Government of Uganda.
The process of clearance requires the organization to forward to the Uganda government through the Ugandan Diplomatic Mission in that country the following for consideration of their suitability to work in Uganda;
- Certified details of his or her certificates,
- proven work experience,
- Certificate of criminal clearance.
(For purposes of use across country such documents must be notarized).
- An NGO shall not practice salary discrimination between Ugandans and non nationals.
The Board of Directors of the National Bureau for Non Governmental Organisations
The Bureau has a board of directors as its governing body, appointed by the minister with the approval of cabinet. The board is constituted of a chairperson, vice chair person, two representatives from the Non Governmental Organisations Sector and three other persons who must be citizens of Uganda, and of high moral character with proven integrity. The board has committees and sub committees that may be assigned functions for efficient performance of its functions.
The bureau also has management staff like the executive director, secretary and other staff. The Board members tenure is for only 3 years and are eligible for re election for another term.
Functions of the board include;
- Overseeing implementation of the Bureau’s policies and programmes in the NGO sector.
- Reviewing and approving strategic plans of the bureau.
- Reviewing and approving annual plans and budget of the Bureau.
- Approving annual reports and accounts of the Bureau.
- Establishing and approving rules and procedures for proper financial management and accountability of the Bureau.
- Determining and reviewing structure and staffing levels.
- Appointing staff of the Bureau.
- Establishing and approving rules and procedures for appointment, discipline, termination of services and general personnel matters.
- Determining and reviewing terms and conditions of service of the staff of the bureau.
Remuneration of the Board members is by Ministry of finance. The board has powers to establish committees and sub committees and delegate them functions for efficient performance of the boards work. Members of these committees may be from within the board itself.
BMK House, 4th Floor, Suite No.402, Plot 4-5 Nyabong Road, Wampewo Avenue, (hotel Africana)
P.O.Box 27689 Kampala. Mob: +256774477656
ADVOCATES WITH EXPERIENCE
Angualia Busiku & Co. Advocates (Registration Number 179893) is a law firm which is comprised of lawyers with previous experience in government service, corporate institutions and law firms.
Outside the office working hours, we are available on video legal consultation after prior appointment.